Monday, October 20, 2008

It's gonna be a long one....

Yes, it's going to be a long day here at work. Not only is it Monday, but it seems to be full on construction day today. They are redoing one of the cube areas by where I sit and for the 2 hours that I've been here I've been listening to drilling, hammering, cutting, etc.... pretty much non-stop. Yeah, that will make time fly. I really don't see how they expect us to get much done, let alone stay sane, when being subjected to that noise all day!

Weekend was pretty uneventful. Got home from California friday night after a spectacular 4 hour flight in the middle seat in the 2nd to last row. I was almost excited because I was sitting next to a cute boy, but then I noticed the stupid wedding ring. Boooo.... And once I sat down I realized that my book was in my suitcase which had been put in a closet at the front of the plane because all of the overheads were full by the time I got on (got on last due to flying standby on United) (and by the way...can you say ridiculously long sentence??). So I subjected myself to one of the worst movies of all time (Diminished Capacity) to pass the time. Why is it that Matthew Broderick does so well on the stage but finds himself in some pretty terrible movies? I think it's been pretty much downhill for him since Ferris Bueller.

Saturday was a day of hanging out, mowing the lawn, running errands, giving the dog a bath....all that stuff that you never find time for but then end up trying to do all in one day making for a pretty busy day. But I made it home in time to pick up some great salad stuff (I had been craving a big salad for a while) and then sit on the couch (I love my new couch!) and watch the Illini game! Way to go Illini! They had another great win. :)

Sunday was a day of work at the bike shop. I never understand people sometimes. We had a couple come in towards the end of the day, and the guy was committed to a road bike in approximately 5 minutes. Gotta love easy sales on $1500 bikes! Then his wife decides she wants to try a road bike. Well first she picks a 60cm men's bike because she likes the brakes on it, and I have to explain that she fits better on a 52cm or possibly a 54cm. So she responds "but I don't want my knees up by my chest!" I still convince her to put the large men's bike away and she tries out the women's 52cm she then comes back and starts telling me all the reasons why she can't ride a road bike, her back hurts, and her hips hurt, and her feet are flat, and her wrists hurt, etc.... So I start to explain that strengthening the core and spending time on the bike to get used to the new position will help. No! She wasn't having any of that, she said she will never be comfortable on a road bike but is very comfortable on her hybrid. So at this point I'm starting to get confused why she is even looking at the bike. She continues talking about all of her pains, but she wants a road bike for doing triathlons, she won't train on it, she just wants to race on it. (I also pick up during this that her rides are 12 miles, so we're talking a slow sprint triathlon racer here) I tried to convince her that she should stick with her hybrid if she's comfortable on it. Being on a road bike that she's not comfortable on will not help her. But now she's insistent that she wants a used road bike so she doesn't have to worry about wasting money. I did the standard spiel about why buying a bike at a shop is better than a used bike because of all the service we include, etc, etc... But she continues to waste my time talking about why her body won't let her ride a road bike, but she wants to buy a used one. Awesome. Thanks a lot lady. Luckily her husband, noticing my confusion/frustration, finally steps in and tells her that a road bike probably isn't for her and gets her to leave. By then luckily it was time to close. So we worked on ushering out the last 2 men who barely spoke english and were obviously there just looking and not looking to buy. I politely informed them that we were closing, and they said "5 more minutes?" And I politely informed them that no, technically we closed 12 minutes ago. (Aka....stop wasting my time and leave so I can go home. Thank you very much)

So that concludes my excessively long Monday post. For those of you that have read this far I strongly urge you to leave a comment. Come on, it will make my day! :)

2 comments:

Jay said...

dos minutos mas es todo!

Aldi26 said...

Thanks JJ, but Spanish is not what I had in mind. :) For those looking to follow JJ's lead, I urge you to go with plain ol' English instead. (It saves me time because I don't need an internet translator to read it!) :)