Monday, August 17, 2009

On track and double unders!

Last week, I was out of the game. I thought I had a cold, but it may very well have been just miserable, terrible allergies. I'm taking some meds now and they seem to be a little better....a little. But once I got to the weekend I was tired of not doing anything. So on Saturday I got myself off the couch, barely able to breathe, and decided to run anyway. Pulled off a short one with Ginger (3.7 miles) since it was hot out! But on Sunday I knew I needed a long run if I was going to pull off this Walter Payton run. So I woke up early Sunday, expecting some nice cool morning weather, but no such luck. I opened the door and was greeted with a wall of humidity....uggg... Oh well, no wussing out. So I suited up and got ready to leave. I had planned on leaving Ginger at home since she wouldn't be able to make the whole thing and I planned on carrying water, but she get's so excited when it's time for a run, so I just couldn't leave her. I have to admit it was a little awkward with the water bottle in one hand and the leash in the other...but we made it work. Did 3 miles with Ginger, then dropped her off at home and headed out once more. I had a goal in mind....but wasn't sure I would make it....the humidity and the lack of running lately and the allergies....but...

I MADE IT!

I pulled off another 3 miles for a total of 6 miles in 58:36. Not too shabby! And my longest run yet!! It was definitely tough, and I had to push myself through every single step... but I know I can do it now. And if I can make some serious progress in these next few weeks, then the Walter Payton run may be a possibility.

Now I just need to get CrossFit and the weather to cooperate with this plan. So far this week, CrossFit is on board. Today's WOD involved sit-ups and double unders. My first attempt at those. According to Coach Jim I had a pretty respectable showing. They were kind of fun and frustrating all at once. Apparently the big challenge is to string them together, I'm still adding single hops in between but now I know what to work on! :)

Weather may not be as cooperative this week. Rain predicted every day. Boo.... I will either be running in the rain, or making use of that gym membership that I still have and never, ever use....

No comments: