Thursday, March 20, 2008

Velonews randomness....

So I spent some time on Velonews yesterday, and ran across a few things that I wanted to share. Some interesting, some appalling, and some just entertaining....

So apparently Fabian Wegmann of the Gerolsteiner team was riding electric dura-ace in the Tour of California. Yes, I know this is old news, but there was a letter from a reader that I totally agree with: "Am I the only one appalled that the greatest human powered device ever invented is being corrupted with motors and batteries, all in the name of what, quick shifting or lighter weight?" I'm all for technology and I do like having my computer to tell me how fast I'm going, what my cadence is, how far I've gone, etc... and I have been dreaming of a PowerTap wheel lately, but I agree with this guy that we shouldn't mess with the actual workings of the bike by adding electronics. But that's just my humble opinion.

Kevin Impe, a cyclist with Quick Step, was forced to give a control sample on Saturday or face a 2 year suspension. What makes this story appalling is that he was at the crematorium filling in the papers after the death of his newborn son when the drugs tester showed up. Impe reports, "He wouldn't even come back later in the day. It was either do it right on the spot or it would be taken as if I had refused". I understand that they are trying to crack down on doping in the sport, but that is ridiculous. Let the guy grieve, and if you really want to test him, then do it before the next race he enters.

And now for the entertaining. Will "Fresh Korn" Frischkorn offers this not entirely PC view of racing in different countries. He provides a warning before getting into it: "Warning: BIG GENERALITIES HERE". Needless to say, it's a good read. :)

Hope that's enough to keep you from being bored for a while. Sorry to those of you who aren't into cycling news, but that's all I've got right now.

Adios!

No comments: