Saturday, April 12, 2008

Still cold...

So after a week of warm weather, the weather report for Saturday (ride day) called for temps in the 30's, rain and the possibility of some snow. So I woke up reluctantly this morning to call the ride hotline, completely expecting to hear that the ride was canceled and then roll over and go back to sleep. Instead, I heard that the ride was on.... Seriously??? So I reluctantly got out of bed and got my stuff together.

Got out to the ride start, and it was still raining. This wasn't going to be fun. But we all got suited up and rolled out. My feet were soaked within the first 5 minutes! And that was even with shoe covers! Coach Dan recommended that I keep my toes moving, only problem was that every time I moved my toes all I felt was water squishing around. But we rolled on, road spray all over my face and everything. I felt sort of like this.....(drowned rat)
I must say this was the most miserable ride ever. Towards the end, my toes and fingers went numb, and my body temperature definitely dropped as well. At one point during the ride it even started sleeting. I have to say that having little pieces of ice hit you in the face while riding is definitely not fun.

I guess it was supposed to build character and make me stronger, blah blah blah. I'm just glad I know that riding can be fun when the weather is nice. If this was my first season riding I probably would have given up by now. I now look forward to my next ride in Texas even more!

So I'm now sitting here relaxing and watching Center Stage for the hundredth time. Maybe at some point I'll stop being lazy this afternoon....

2 comments:

Colleen Renee' Wilson said...

boo. that sucks Alida. Well done for hanging in there. I don't know if I would have showed up. Rain makes me cranky and wet socks and shoes...puts me OVER the edge.

I prefer to sit my ass on a trainer on those days.

Dole said...

character my ass, I couldn't feel my feet for a few hours and my thumbs stillhurt....and I was wearing thermal gloves...